MUPD Uses FBI Technique in Active Shooter Training on Campus

Sarah Davis
Marshall Police Chief Jim Terry spoke at the active shooter training on Sept. 12.

Designed around the FBI’s “Run. Hide. Fight.” technique, MUPD and the Office of Environmental Health and Safety provided active student training for faculty, staff and students at the student center yesterday, Sept. 12.

According to FBI statistics on average, active shooter incidents occur every three weeks.

Police Chief Jim Terry, Lieutenant Parker, and Tracy Smith, director of environment health and safety, collaborated to put the training together.

According to the “Run. Hide. Fight.” technique, during an active shooter situation the first thing that everyone should do is try to run and get as far away from the threat as possible.

The training was designed around the FBI technique of “Run. Hide. Fight.” Meaning 

“Water runs through the lowest point and is fluid and keeps moving no matter what,” Parker said. “That’s how you run. You don’t stop.”

If running isn’t an option and the exits are blocked, the next option is to hide. The goal is to locate somewhere with the most coverage to hide and silence all devices.

The last resort in the FBI’s stated plan is to fight, meaning barricade any doors with chairs, desks or anything found around the room. 

“If we have come to that point in that event, there are no fair fights, you do everything you can,” Parker said.

During the training, Parker walked around the room asking what people have with them and explained that a pen, water bottle and purse can all be used during active shooter situations. 

“All of those things are now weapons,” he said.

Emphasizing the importance of personal preparation, Terry said, “Be aware of your surroundings, identify the closest exits and think of how you would get out of a restaurant, classroom and even your own home.”

“When you’re walking to your car late at night,” he went on to say, “don’t stare at your phone, be aware of your surroundings, and have a plan with your friends and family when you go out.”.

Students interested in learning more about the training can find the video link uploaded to Blackboard, which will be accessible to all students, faculty and staff.

Marshall also has many resources and events becoming available to the community in the near future to address concerns related to active shooting situations and the new campus carry law coming this summer.

“The Campus Carry Work Group is actively preparing for the July 2024 adoption of concealed carry legislation on higher education campuses,” UComm said recently.      

“Current efforts focus on creating an implementation plan based on recommendations from the Campus Carry Action Learning Team.” 

Several events related to campus safety in the upcoming months include an R.A.D. Self-Defense Course on Oct. 4 beginning at 1 p.m.in the student center and a Campus Safety walk on Oct. 16 at 6 p.m. at the Memorial Fountain to assess campus safety.

The Marshall Police Department is also active on campus and there to help with any questions or concerns during their patrol. 

“We are here 24/7,” Terry said. “We patrol on bikes, cruisers, the whole 9 yards. So, that’s an active patrol function.” 

Those interested in getting to know MUPD can attend events like the Coffee and Donuts event with the department on Thursday, Oct. 12, at 8 a.m.

All details regarding upcoming campus safety events can be viewed through the new Marshall U app.