Chris Gardner gave the keynote at the Spring 2024 Commencement.
Class of 2024 Graduates With ‘Permission to Dream’
Anna Holstein, Staff Reporter • April 29, 2024
Walk For Hope Flyer

Courtesy of Phi Alpha
Walk for Hope to Shine Light on Suicide Prevention
Baylee Parsons, Copy Editor • April 19, 2024

Student Organizations Host Involvement Fair

Jada Mills
Alpha Chi Omega tabling at the Student Involvement Fair

Participation in student events can lead to an improved college career, a leadership involvement coach said recently.

“Students who get involved on campus are 80% more likely to retain their attendance and complete their degrees,” Lenzie Stilner of the LEAD Center said during last Wednesday’s Student Involvement Fair, which featured some 52 organizations outside Memorial Student Center.

“The student involvement fair is the main source for students to see what clubs are offered to them,” Stilner said.

Over 300 clubs are active on campus. Organizations use tabling as a way to showcase their club; they offer informational brochures and free items like pens, pencils, bracelets, shirts and candy.  

The fair was held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. during high traffic time for the plaza. 

“The student center is the perfect place for the fair. We have had students stop and talk to organizations all morning as they walk through,” Stiltner said.  

In-person interactions boost recruitment for the clubs which allow commuters and new students to get involved. Several new clubs are created each year; holding an involvement fair helps them gain attendance.  

“Anything new can be scary, especially for new students to Marshall, but getting involved on campus will better connect them to the community,” Stiltner said. 

A newly created club is the American Sign Language Club. Kierstyn Terry created this club to teach students sign language. The club meets every Monday evening from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.  

“Knowing sign language can open doors for different jobs like interpreting for events and can be beneficial for resumes,” Terry said. 

The cosplay club was also set up during the fair. “Members in this club get together and help each other make costumes that we wear to different conventions,” said Alexis Belt, the club’s president. “We have several events this month that new members can get involved with.” 

Around 30 members are in the cosplay club. This semester they plan to use their club to benefit the community by volunteering their time to local fundraisers like the Angel Tree program through the Salvation Army and visiting youth at Cabell Huntington Hospital while dressed up as princesses.  

The Residence Hall Association was another organization tabling during the fair. This organization is the governing body for all the residence halls. 

“The RHA is a way for students to have a voice and make the changes they want to see in the residence halls,” said Lauren Wright, the residence hall advisor.  

The RHA offers National and Regional conferences that students can attend to further leadership within the organization. There is also an executive board where students can run for positions like president, vice president, secretary and treasurer.  

The rec soccer club, religion-based clubs and fraternities and sororities were also tabling during the fair.  

For students interested in joining a club, all information can be found on herdlink.marshall.edu.