Chris Gardner
Spring Commencement to Feature Inspiring Speaker
Sarah Davis, News Editor • April 23, 2024
Walk For Hope Flyer

Courtesy of Phi Alpha
Walk for Hope to Shine Light on Suicide Prevention
Baylee Parsons, Copy Editor • April 19, 2024

Chamber Choir Travels to France

Nolan Duncan
(Eiffel Tower) The Marshall University Chamber Choir took a 10 day trip to France to participate in four performances.
(Chartres Cathedral) “We gave performances at some of the most amazing venues in the world: the cathedral in Chartres, the cathedral in Rouen, the church Saint Eustache in Paris, and the cathedral Saint Croix Armenian in Paris,” Castleberry said.
(Stained Glass in Chartres Cathedral) The group began their tour in the town of Chartres. (Nolan Duncan)
(Altar in Chartres Cathedral) “It was a great way for us to kind of get over jet lag and get our footing in a new country before we ventured into Paris,” Castleberry said. (Nolan Duncan)
(Garden in Versailles) Castleberry began the international tours in 2012 with a trip to France, and, in 2016, he took the choir to Spain.
(Plaza in Versailles) Castleberry said the choir was scheduled to tour in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic in 2020, but COVID interrupted the plans.
(Rouen Cathedral) Castleberry said he was happy the students had an opportunity to travel to Rouen to see the differences in culture. (Nolan Duncan)
(Notre Dame) Castleberry said students created a community amongst themselves during the trip.
(“Mona Lisa”) “For some, it was the first time even to fly in an airplane,” David Castleberry, director of the chamber choir said. “Their support for each other and inclusion of everyone just made it a real joy for me.”
(Student Looking Over Chartres) Castleberry said he always sees a change in students. He notices the new outlook students have on the world and culture around them. “I’ve seen how it transforms lives, and that to me is worth all the work,” he said. (Nolan Duncan)