Judge Richard Gergel speaking at the Amicus Curiae lecture.
Courage Valued at Amicus Curiae
Sarah Davis, News Editor • February 23, 2024
The Herd has dropped three consecutive games.
Chanticleers Curb the Herd
Ben Cower, Student Reporter • February 23, 2024
Dean Stites talks with students.
COS Students Get to Know New Dean
Scott Price, Chief Copy Editor • February 25, 2024

Marshall Thunders to the Capitol

Reagan Clagg
Prominent officials and professors from Marshall stand inside the Capitol Building.

As part of a tradition that has lasted for over 20 years, Marshall students, faculty and staff went to the Capitol on Wednesday, Jan. 31, to showcase the university. 

Matt James, the executive director of alumni relations, said this event was not only a chance to share happenings at Marshall with government officials, but also a way for students to share their experiences. 

“We always want to showcase what we’re doing in Huntington to our statewide leaders, but, also, we want to give our students a chance to really talk about their experience,” James said.

MU President Brad Smith said the event was a way to thank the legislature for their support of Marshall and drew attention to the six areas in which Marshall has been excelling. 

“It’s our opportunity to thank the legislature and the state leaders for their support of higher education, but it’s also to remind them of what we’re doing to be a part of the solution as we lean into the six areas in our strategy,” Smith said. 

Smith said those areas are cyber security, healthcare, advanced manufacturing, new energy, aviation and entrepreneurship.

While Smith did draw attention to how Marshall is working to excel in those areas, he emphasized Marshall Day at the Capitol was not about that.

“It’s about thanking them and then showing them that we’re here leaning in to help the state be even stronger,” Smith said. 

Student Body President Walker Tatum said it was important for Marshall students to take part in the event and interact with elected officials.

“I think that it’s important for Marshall to be here at the Capitol in West Virginia and, at the same time, for Marshall students to show up and be really integrated with all of our elected officials within the state of West Virginia,” Tatum said. 

He pointed out many pieces of legislation passed impact what happens on campus, and that’s part of why he believes it is so important for this event to take place.

“There’s a lot of things when it comes to higher education, what happens on Marshall’s campus, that these elected officials have a say in,” Tatum said. 

Tatum said he appreciated that Marshall students attended the event and that collaboration between the university and the legislature was integral to Marshall’s success.