SRC TO CELEBRATE VETERANS DAY

Zach Wright, Reporter

The Student Resource Center will sponsor a day of activities Tuesday to commemorate Veterans Day.

There will be a table set up in the Memorial Student Center to start the event and encourage veterans to join the festivities.

Samantha Stalnaker, student resource specialist for the SRC, said the Veterans Day activities will begin early and continue throughout the day.

“There will be a table set up in the MSC with free hot chocolate in commemorative cups,” Stalnaker said. “There will be signs and flags all around the student center.”

Stalnaker said a military appreciation board will be on display in the MSC, and the events will start at 11 a.m.

“The board will be on display beginning Monday, and will be out all week,” Stalnaker said. “The Marshall ROTC will open our events on Tuesday with a moment of silence at 11 a.m.”

The moment of silence will be observed at the World War II memorial near the northeast corner of Jenkins Hall on the Huntington campus.

There will also be free hot chocolate in commemorative mugs on the student center plaza, beginning at 1 p.m.

The Charleston chapter of the Quilts of Valor Foundation will present a quilt to Marshall football player Jared Turner, who was injured in 2009 while serving in Iraq. The presentation takes place at 2 p.m. on the MSC plaza.

Stalnaker said the event is public and open to students on campus and veterans in the area.

Stalnaker also said the event this year is a much larger than last year’s, and he hopes the turnout represents that.

“Last year, we had a small table with free hot chocolate in commemorative cups, but this year it’s a much bigger event,” Stalnaker said. “We really wanted it to be more of an appreciation and a thank you form MU students to all veterans. That is why we included the military appreciation board and will have it out in the plaza all week. We thought it would be an amazing visual of the thanks given.”

Zach Wright can be contacted at [email protected].