Fall International Film Festival begins at the Keith-Albee Friday

Shalee Rogney, Reporter

The Marshall Artists Series presents another year of the Fall International Film Festival at the Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center. The first film is showing Friday at 5:30 p.m.

This year’s films were selected on the basis of several factors determined by Angela Jones, director of marketing and external affairs for the Marshall Artists Series.

“I chose the films based on the languages taught on campus and the demographic breakdown of the international student population,” Jones said. “But I also try to choose films that are critically acclaimed, received some kind of award or recognition at a festival, but also for the entertainment quality as well.”

The film festival will run until Nov. 13, and each film will be shown three times. Full-time students view the films free of charge by showing a Marshall ID. Part-time students can purchase a ticket for half price. Admission for an individual film is $7.50. Students can get their tickets at the door.

A highlight of the festival is the documentary “20 Feet From Stardom.” The film chronicles a day in the life of a backup signer for some of the most famous music acts in history, such as Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones. This film was awarded Best International Film at both the Academy Awards and the Sundance Film Festival.

Another film, “Wadjda,” is the first movie filmed entirely in Saudi Arabia and directed by a female. Haifaa Al-Mansour was nominated and won a series of awards that range from best international film to best children’s feature. “Wadjda” also won the Best Foreign Language Film from the Boston Society of Film Critics Awards.

The Fall International Film Festival attracts all kinds of spectators from around Huntington. Many professors on campus offer extra credit to students who attend a film, but many of them return for the simple entertainment of an international film.

“It really has it’s own life in terms of people who hear of a film and want to see it,” Jones said. “But a lot of people have never heard of any of these films, and they just want to check it out because it’s something different and unique.”

Shalee Rogney can be contacted at [email protected].