Veteran’s Day concert

The Jazz I Combo ensemble is preparing to play a Veteran’s Day concert 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Smith Music Recital Hall on Marshall University’s campus.

Professor and director of Jazz Studies Martin Saunders served for a collective amount of nine years in the military and said he is ready for students to take the stage.

“There will be probably several different ways of veteran’s being honored, but I think it’s a good way for us to pay tribute to especially the older veterans in our community and I think it’s good for our music students to play music from the time period and for them to learn somewhat of an appreciation for what these people did for us,” Saunders said.

The ensemble players will perform songs from the late 1920s to the late 1940s, which Saunders said covers the World War I and World War II time periods.

The concert is open to the public. Saunders said he wants to encourage people to come out for the performance.

“It’s a free concert,” Saunders said. “We are asking very politely for donations if people feel so inclined, just to help continue to boost our own programs here at Marshall, but certainly there’s not a requirement for that.”

Saunders said everyone is planning to have a relaxed and good time.

“You know, the old saying of freedom isn’t free, there’s a lot of truth to that,” Saunders said. “A lot of people have made a lot of sacrifices to make sure that we can do what we do with freedom today.”

Chantil Foster can be contacted at [email protected].