COLA Conference extends submission date

The Marshall University College of Liberal Arts Research and Creativity Conference application deadline is extended to Feb. 25.

The conference features the analytic, creative and empirical works of critical analysis of text, theory, poetry, short stories and research projects by undergraduate students.

A faculty member must approve the proposed research as work that meets the scholarly expectations of the Research and Creativity Conference. The faculty member oversees the project to ensure it is completed.

Students who want to participate in the conference must fill out the application form found on the College of Liberal Arts’ website and submit the form to an adviser. Each application must contain a 12-word title and 200-word abstract for the proposed project.

Conference chairman Viatcheslav Gratchev said the conference is an opportunity for undergraduate students to present research and gain experience similar to graduate level presentations.

“The benefit of this conference is unique,” Gratchev said. “Marshall, for 15 years in a row, is offering an opportunity to undergraduate students to present their own independent research. There are tons of conferences across the country, across the region and across the state for graduate students, but an undergraduate who has an idea and wants to put it forward will not be accepted.”

Students who present will follow similar requests, demands and standards as a regular academic conference, Gratchev said. Experts in each field of study will evaluate the abstracts.

Gratchev said there are no other conferences in the area like the Research and Creativity Conference. He said it is a prestigious event for Marshall students, and students outside of Marshall do not participate.

Victor Fet, a Marshall professor of biological sciences and noted expert in the study of scorpions, will be this year’s guest speaker. Marshall Classics Chairman Eric Del Chrol served as last year’s guest speaker.

Last year’s conference consisted of 86 participants. Gratchev said he anticipates the same number of applicants now that the deadline has been extended.

The Research and Creativity Conference is April 2-3.

Patrick Breeden can be contacted at [email protected].