Students paint, socialize at DIY dirty pour event

Marshall students observe and learn how to create dirty pour paintings.

As part of its 2018-2019 Do It Yourself Series, Marshall University’s Campus Activities Board hosted a dirty pour event Tuesday, Jan. 29 in the Don Morris Room of the Memorial Student Center.

Dirty pour is a painting technique where layers of paint are placed into a container and then flipped onto the canvas, blending the colors together to give each canvas a unique design.

DIY events hosted by CAB are a way for students who have never met before to start getting to know each other, CAB President Raul Moreno said.

“When students come to these events, they are surrounded with other students that they haven’t met before,” Moreno said. “They share the materials, so I think that this gets the students to start talking.”

Briana Murphy, CAB’s chair of public relationssaid these events connect students by giving them an event that allows them to have fun on campus.

“Our events also give students an opportunity to meet new people and make new friends,” Murphy said.

Getting involved in an organization on campus may have the ability to impact students in a positive way. Moreno said it helps to develop their interpersonal skills, and by becoming involved they have to talk to other people.

Currently, we are living in a time where people are not developing this skill due to the advancement of technology,Moreno said.

Moreno said he hopes students made new friends and also learned a new skill they can do on their own at home by going to the dirty pour event.

More information on upcoming events can be found atwww.marshall.edu/CABorby emailing [email protected].

Savanah Matney can be contacted at [email protected].