Open submissions for mental health art show

The upcoming art show, “Don’t Call Me Crazy– Resiliency Through Art” is still accepting work from artists for its comprehensive exhibit next semester. Visual artists at Marshall University are able to submit works of visual art of any medium that revolve around the theme of mental health and mental illness awareness, in order to bring attention to issues of stigma and social acceptance. Students can drop off their works Nov. 29 and 30 in Drinko Library from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Sabrina Thomas, the director of the showcase and Instruction and Research Librarian at Marshall, said she is optimistic about the ability of the show to generate important conversations.

“Our goal with this art showcase isn’t just to display beautiful works of student art throughout Drinko Library, although that is a benefit,” Thomas said. “We want people to look at those works of art and have conversations about mental health, because those conversations are so important to have, and they aren’t had enough.”

The artwork will be displayed in Drinko Library from January 14, 2019 through May 10, 2019. Throughout this time, selected pieces will be hung and set up throughout Drinko Library for students and faculty to view.

“I don’t think it’s about showing the existence of mental illness as much,” Thomas said. “We really want to hone in on the resiliency aspect. Like, if you experience mental struggles, and you’re able to be resilient through your art, let’s showcase that. If you can be resilient through getting help and talking about it, let’s showcase that.” 

Thomas said her hope through the showcase is to start conversations on campus and to show students with mental illnesses and mental disabilities that resiliency can come in many forms and work to inspire all. Eligibility for being considered for this exhibit is open to all current students, faculty and staff at Marshall.

Hannah Graham can be contacted at [email protected].