Stress Relief Week helps get students through exam prep

Zach Wright, Reporter

The Student Resource Center will collaborate with the Campus Activity Board Tuesday through Thursday to bring students MU Stress Relief Week.

Samantha Stalnaker, student resource specialist and outreach and special events coordinator, said MU Stress Relief Week is a recurring event during exam time.

“Each semester we try to do a stress relief event,” Stalnaker said. “Last semester was the biggest that we’ve had so far. For the fall semester, we are scaling back slightly compared to spring.”

Even though they are scaling down for the fall exams, Stalnaker expects the attendance to still be very strong for this semester.

“Attendance has been growing the last couple of years,” Stalnaker said. “Each event probably attracts somewhere around 150 to 200 students.”

Each event for this semester offers something different for students, with activities that can appeal to anyone.

MU Stress Relief Week kicks off with the s’mores social Tuesday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“On Tuesday, we are doing Study S’more in the Corbly [Hall] lobby,” Stalnaker said. “Students can come in and make s’mores and take a study break and hang out.”

MU Stress Relief Week continues with Card’s N’ Cocoa Wednesday 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

“On Wednesday, we are having the Cards n’ Cocoa social,” Stalnaker said. “There will be cards, and snacks and board games to help the students relax.”

MU Stress Relief comes to a close Thursday with free massages 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“Stress Relief Work concludes with free massages on Thursday,” Stalnaker said. “The massages will be in the Student Center lobby.”

Stalnaker said the events are focused on helping the students relax during this stressful time, and hopefully letting them cool off some steam before continuing their studies.

“We try to find some activities and events that help with the stress and make constant studying not so difficult on the students,” Stalnaker said.

Stalnaker said MU Stress Relief Week has been a success in the past, and hopes to continue that trend for this upcoming finals week.

“Last semester we did the s’mores event, but we also had Zumba,” Stalnaker said. “We had yoga on the plaza, and free t-shirts for students.”

“We did a health and wellness fair where nursing students could take blood pressure of students,” Stalnaker said. “We also had psychology students come in and talk to students about their stress levels and how mental health services could help.”

MU Stress Relief Week offers more than just fellowship and activities. Food is provided, and other free gifts may be available to stressed students.

“At each event we have a stress reliever and pamphlets available that provide students with information on how to deal with stress,” Stalnaker said. “We’ll also be giving out eight-day planners that help students break down their exam schedule and allow them to take it a day at a time.”

Zach Wright can be contacted at [email protected].