The Parthenon

This is why we are…Marshall

From the Nov. 14, 1970 edition of The Parthenon

From the Nov. 14, 1970 edition of The Parthenon

From the Nov. 14, 1970 edition of The Parthenon

From the Nov. 14, 1970 edition of The Parthenon

Taylor Stuck, Managing Editor

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

I’m not from Huntington.

I didn’t grow up hearing storiesabout that tragic night in 1970. No one in my family knew someone who died.

I didn’t even know about the plane crash until I saw the movie my sophomore year of high school when they showed it one day in gym class.

You have to understand something; I grew up in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia. Mountaineer Country. It wasn’t that my family hated Marshall (my dad got his master’s degree here); it just wasn’t feasible. We don’t get Marshall games on TV. Our local news doesn’t cover Mar-shall sports, let alone anything else.

How many of us have a similar story?

What drew me to Marshall University was the history. Walking on campus, I felt right at home next to Old Main. It was an immediate feel-ing of “this is right.” The Marshall Hall of Fame Café, the first Huntington restaurant I ate at, told a story about the town. The highlight of that first tour? The fountain. Sitting in the middle of the plaza on a beautiful summer day, serving as a constant reminder there was something bigger, something more motivating us.

I loved every bit of this campus and city.

The tragedy is a huge part of that history.

Because of that history, we are all connected. I may not have a personal connection to the victims, but it is not hard to sit back and think, “What if I lost my sports editor?”

Looking at the Nov. 18, 1970, memorial edition of The Parthenon, it’s hard to not be moved to tears. It is incomprehensible to me the staff was able to come back four days later and produce a 20-page newspaper after losing one of their own. There was more than an empty seat – Jeff Nathan was missing.

“It was unusual to walk into The Parthenon office and not see Jeff Nathan pounding away at his type-writer, always energetic,” Wayne Faulkner, editor-in-chief, wrote in his memorial editorial. “It was un-usual to see always cheerful friends with tears in their eyes. And at that time I joined and cried too – not in sobs, but in tearful shock, tears which force themselves out even when sounds do not.”

I hope it’s something I never truly feel, but it’s not hard to imagine what it would be like. A football player can look at his teammate and think, “What if I lost my best friend?”

We can all think that. We can all have that connection. We can all feel a tiny sliver of how that must have felt.

That is why we are Marshall.

It’s why I still get choked up when the whole stadium chants that in unison.

I may not be a Huntington native. I may not have been alive when the tragedy took place. But when I made the decision to be a daughter of Mar-shall, I took on that history as my own.

“As life goes on the tears will fade and grief will fade—

An empty green will echo cheers again —

But memories of those who watched and played —

For the Sons of Marshall ever will remain.”

Leslie Flowers

News editor, ‘70

Taylor Stuck can be contacted at [email protected]

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
6 Comments

6 Responses to “This is why we are…Marshall”

1. Karen Stuck on November 13th, 2014 6:19 pm

Beautifully written editorial. You can feel the love and pride you have!

2. Shawn Ross on November 14th, 2014 12:42 am

Great job Taylor! Beautifully piece of writing.

3. Shawn Ross on November 14th, 2014 12:44 am

*Beautiful

4. Andrew on November 14th, 2014 7:05 am

Take notes, Mr. Culvyhouse.

Well done, Ms. Stuck. I grew up in the Eastern Panhandle, which like the Northern Panhandle is WVU Country, no question. I went to night classes through MU at the 167th Airlift Wing in Martinsburg and never stepped foot on campus until graduation. It wasn’t until then that I understood how special MU is.

It’s hard to describe. I’ve been to Fountain Ceremonies, Spring Games, Away Games, Bowl Games, etc. These aren’t the things that draw me to the school though. It’s the history, the feeling of closeness, the ability to approach faculty and staff as you would your own family. Those are the things that make MU truly different. You can get an education at any accredited university, but you can’t get the feeling we share for Our University anywhere else.

MU is bigger than the game. It’s prayers after practice and before turning the fountain on in the Spring and off today. Compared to other universities, we’re fringe. I’m fine with that. That’s what makes us who We Are…

5. Frances Chirico Lowe on November 14th, 2014 7:57 am

I am a 1968 Marshall grad and former Parthenon staff member and editor.
    Your piece was excellent. I grew up in Logan County and Huntington was the city we visited frequently. It was an exciting thriving place with Marshall at the center. I will never forget my years on campus and the education I received.
    The plane crash was especially meaningful to my family. My older sister was at the game in North Carolina and a younger sister was attending Marshall at that time. Both are graduates of the university.
    Keep up the good work on the newspaper. It has always been an excellent publication with great leadership and journalistic standards.

6. Theresa Salvatore Stephens on November 15th, 2014 6:45 am

This is a beautiful editorial. My father would be so proud of you!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
  • This is why we are…Marshall

OPINION

EDITORIAL: Marshall entering a new era

• This is why we are…Marshall

COLUMN

Goodbye, Marshall. From Rick Farlow

• This is why we are…Marshall

COLUMN

Farewell from Executive Editor Sadie Helmick

• This is why we are…Marshall

COLUMN

LET ME BE FRANK: One Last Time

• OPINION

EDITORIAL: ‘Rock-Throwers’ and toddlers–the complex situation at the border

• This is why we are…Marshall