Marshall students travel to Italy during spring break

By SON NGUYEN
A group of Marshall students will travel to Italy this spring break, as part of the university’s “Spring Break in Italy” program.
Participants will experience a trip through seven major cities of Italy in 12 days, including Venice, Florence, Assisi, Pompeii, Sorrento, Rome and Capri. Students will visit many significant national places, such as the Colosseum amphitheater and the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
Director of Student Activities and Greek affairs Andy Hermansdorfer said the program is a combined effort between student activities and the Student Involvement Leadership offices.
“Our offices had sponsored a study abroad spring break tour for the last ten years,” Hermansdorfer said. “And typically, how we pick our destination is up to the students. So this year, there were two students who signed up 12 months ago and they said that we want to go to Italy, so we found a tour and that’s why we are going.”
Hermansdorfer said he and Campus Activities Board advisor Lee Tabor will lead the group during their time in Italy.
“We will have a total of 16 in our group,” Hermansdorfer said. “Out of those 16, 13 had never been out of the country. So my hope is that they will come back more enlighten and aware of American culture, but also Italian culture. They get out of their comfort zones in a country that they don’t speak the language. It’s a great learning opportunity. It’s a life changer I think.”
Senior public relations major Hannah Sayre said this will be the first time she will travel outside of the United States.
“I really don’t know what to expect,” Sayre said. “I just kinda like looking online, researching, all that kind of stuff.”
Sophomore nursing major Hanna Armstrong said she looks forward to visiting Pompeii.
“I’ve always dreamed of Italy since my middle school years and have always been in awe of pictures of Italy,” Armstrong said. “I look to bask in the culture there and all the different food and, of course, wine. You cannot go to Italy and not try the wine.”
The group will depart Friday at Charleston’s Yeager airport.
Son Nguyen can be contacted at [email protected].