Students dance stresses away at headphone disco

Son Nguyen

Headphone Disco’s DJs Kory Scott (left) and Steven Crandall (middle) perform as Jacke Saunders of CAB (right) takes in the scene Wednesday in the Memorial Student Center lobby.

Marshall University’s Campus Activities Board continued its “Stress Relief Week” Wednesday with a music-themed event, “Headphone Disco”

The event started at 6 p.m. on the first floor of the Memorial Student Center. CAB originally planned to host the event on the center’s plaza, but had to relocate due to rainy weather.

The event was a collaboration between CAB and Headphone Disco. Founded in 2007, Headphone Disco presented their unique way of broadcasting music at several music festivals and college shows around the world. On their official Facebook page, the company claimed to be “the world’s biggest and busiest silent party operator.”

Unlike other parties or concerts, each participant received a pair of wireless headphones that received signals from two separate FM channels. These channels broadcasted two different sets of music made by Headphone Disco DJs Steven Crandall and Kory Scott. Participants can change the channel at any moment to find the tune that suited them better.

“We use this event to introduce a new, different trend that is going through music festivals, which is the ‘Headphone Disco,’” said CAB advisor Lee Tabor. “It’s kind of neat because you will see people dancing. You don’t know what song they are dancing to and even then you will hear people kind of singing out loud, but they forget they are singing out loud because they are wearing their headphones.”

Tabor also said CAB is considering to book Headphone Disco to perform at the next FEST event.

“It’s a good way to kind of mix students together, get them to just have some fun and relax, especially before finals,” Tabor said.

Marshall student and CAB member Jake Saunders said he thinks the party is a good event.

“It will definitely relieve stress because you dance around,” Saunders said.

CAB will conclude “Stress Relief Week” Thursday night with an outdoor movie screening of “The Goonies”.

Son Nguyen can be contacted at [email protected].