Browning amongst newcomers for Herd hoops this season

With a number of new players on the Marshall University men’s basketball team this season, Marshall basketball fans may have trouble learning the names of all the new players.

One name that’s already been surfacing is Stevie Browning. Having sat out last season after transferring from Fairmont State University, Browning is expected to have an instant impact for the Herd.

“I think he was overlooked and that’s the reason he wasn’t Division I,” head coach Dan D’Antoni said. “He’s athletic and can shoot the ball. He’s a typical West Virginian, so he’s got a bit of a chip on his shoulder and he’s going to bring that competitive edge to the team.”

Browning said his competitive nature didn’t come over night and said it’s always been a part of him.

Dating back to his high school years, Browning was one of the few freshman on a Logan High School team, which featured two future West Virginia University signees in Noah Cottrill and Paul Williamson, to contribute in its run to a state title.

Browning capped off his high school career by averaging 26 points per game to go along with nine rebounds per game.

The 6-foot-3 guard said he has noticed a few differences in the style of play moving from Division II to Division I, but said he’ll have no problem adjusting.

“The biggest difference is probably size,” Browning said. “Everybody’s bigger, everybody’s taller but luckily last year I got my adjustment period so I should be good to go.”

After leading Fairmont State in scoring in the 2013-14 season, Browning said he has focused his attention on making Marshall better as a team and rebuilding the program since transferring.

Browning and the Herd will begin its regular season Nov. 19 against the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Ishmael Witten can be contacted at [email protected]