Women’s basketball takes on Rhode Island as it attempts to remain undefeated

Marshall point guard Norrisha Victrum dribbles the ball in a game last season.

Parthenon File Photo

Parthenon File Photo

The Marshall University women’s basketball team looks to continue its recent success Wednesday when the University of Rhode Island Rams visit the Cam Henderson Center.

The Herd won its first two games of the season, defeating Morehead State University in a closely contested season opener and running away with a victory over Brescia University.

Freshman Shayna Gore has had an impressive start to her collegiate career, as she scored 27 points in the opener against Morehead State and is averaging 20 points per game through the season’s first two games.

In fact, Gore’s performances in the Herd’s opening two games earned her the Conference USA Freshman of the Week award, garnering praise from head coach Matt Daniel.

“I’m happy for her and believe she earned it,” Daniel said. “She is fun to watch and fun to coach.”

After sitting out last season, redshirt junior forward Talequia Hamilton is coming off her first career double-double for the Herd, notching 17 points and 10 rebounds. Senior forward Leah Scott also added 18 points and eight rebounds in the win.

Marshall will need that post presence against the Rams as it specializes in blocking shots.

In Rhode Island’s season opener against 23rd-ranked Syracuse, it tallied seven blocked shots.

The propensity of swatting shots isn’t unfamiliar territory for the Rams, as it has two players on the roster ranked in the top five in blocked shots in school history.

To go along with talented shot blockers, Rhode Island has seen its own young talent play well in the season’s early going as sophomore guard Charise Wilson is coming off a 26-point performance.

Wednesday’s contest will be just the second-ever meeting between the two schools with Marshall taking last season’s contest 61-45.

Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. at the Cam Henderson Center.

Ishmael Witten can be contacted at [email protected]