Freshman Gore impressive in team’s first five games

The immediate success of the Marshall University women’s basketball team may come as a shock to some.

Coming into this season, spectators said inexperience would be the Herd’s downfall.

With a roster stocked with freshman and few upperclassmen, it would be key for a couple of the collegiate rookies to elevate their game.

However, from the season’s opening tip, one particular freshman has done just that.

Shayna Gore, a Logan, West Virginia native, said she knew many years ago she wanted to become a member of the Thundering Herd.

“I used to come to the camps when I was younger, even before coach [Matt] Daniel got here,” Gore said. “I always wanted to come here, and my dream finally came true”

Gore is second in scoring for the Herd, averaging 16.4 points per game despite having yet to crack the starting lineup.

Though her stats may be impressive for a freshman, Gore is no stranger to big performances on the hardwood.

During her high school career, Gore averaged 28 points per game as a senior. She also finished with a total of 1,991 points in her four years, including a career high of 41 points.

“I’m impressed with all the young players and Shayna’s a big key to that,” head coach Matt Daniel said. “I think Shayna’s best basketball is ahead of her; she steps out in her first college game and scores 27 points. I think everybody can see what she’s capable of being”

Gore’s coach is not the only one impressed by her play. Senior teammate Leah Scott said she been pleased with her performance, as well.

“I’m really impressed with Shayna,” Scott said. “But even during the summer, I could just tell she would be a big asset. She puts the time in and gets shots up before and after practice, and that’s important if you want to be successful.”

Gore’s teammates and coaches are not the only people surprised by her start; even she, herself, did not envision such a strong individual start to the season.

“I expected to play,” Gore said, “I just didn’t think I’d be in this position, but I’m glad coach had the confidence in me. A lot of it has to do with older players like Leah [Scott] helping me and telling me how to handle things.”

Gore and the Thundering Herd are on the verge of tying its best start (6-0) since 1971.

The Herd will attempt to tie the record-start when it takes on Alabama A&M University 1 p.m. Saturday.

Ishmael Witten can be contacted at [email protected].