Joel Ward amazes students with magic show

Magician Joel Ward amazed his audience with tricks at his Thursday night magic show.

Ward, who has appeared on Comedy Central program, Tosh.O, performed yesterday evening in the Don Morris Room of the Memorial Student Center.

Ward started practicing magic at 6 after volunteering for a magician who performed at his school. Ward then opened his own business at age 10 and started performing at children’s birthday parties. By age 15, Ward became a World Champion Teen Magician after placing first at the International Brotherhood of Magicians annual competition, which is the World’s Largest Magic Organization.

Ward said he was very excited to be at Marshall University.

“This is my first time to West Virginia and it feels good,” Ward said. “I flew into Columbus last night and I rented a car, drove down this morning. It was a beautiful drive. There is a drought in California right now, so just seeing grass and all these green trees excites me.”

Ward performs all over the United States and says he is constantly on the road.

“The other night I was in Palm Springs and then after this [show] I head back to California,” Ward said.

Ward said that he just recently started doing college shows this year.

“It’s been great,” Ward expressed. “I have performed at 30 colleges this year. Mainly in the Mid-West region, but its been super fun.”

“This is my first time to West Virginia and it feels good.”

— Joel Ward

When asked about his connection with Daniel Tosh, Ward shared an interesting story about one of the first times he open for the comedian.

“One time I was opening for him and I didn’t know who he was, so I wrote his name on my hand with a Sharpie. I said ‘This next guy has his own show on Comedy Central please welcome…’ and I looked down on my hand, but I couldn’t see it well because I was sweating and so I said ‘please welcome Danny Tash’ and the whole audience erupted when he came out and he ripped on me for like 20 minutes, so he remembered me.”

Sophomore Biology major, Jason Truman, was one of the attendees of the show and had nothing but positive things to say about the magician.

“He was awesome,” Truman said. “I’ve never been to a magic show and this guy just blew my mind. As soon as I get home I’m going to look him up on YouTube to see all his other stuff.”

Marshall University Campus Activities Board held the event which was free for students with a valid MU ID. Students who attended the show were also entered for a chance to win a pair of Beats by Dre headphones.

Desmond Groves can be contacted at [email protected]