Journalist-turned-comedian to entertain Marshall campus

Brooklyn, New York-born journalist turned comedian, Chloé Hilliard is set to perform for students and faculty 5 p.m. Thursday in the Don Morris Room located on the top floor of the Memorial Student Center.

Hilliard is being brought to Marshall by the Campus Activities Board, which has brought other acts from around the United States to campus.

Hilliard has written for The Village Voice, Essence, Vibe, King and The Source. Hilliard was most recently the editorial director of Loop21.com, a website focusing on culture, politics and entertainment from a different perspective.

Hilliard made her national television debut on NBC’s “Last Comic Standing” and appeared on AXSTV’s “Gotham Comedy Live.”

The comedian describes herself as “larger than life” because she is “6’1 and rocks a killer afro.” Hilliard uses her life experiences as resources for her jokes.

Junior nursing major Kaitlin Wallace said she can not wait to see Hilliard live.

“I’m so excited for a well known comedian to come here,” Wallace said.

Senior biology major Troy Hawkins said he is looking forward to see Hilliard perform because stand up comedy is something different for students to see.

“You don’t hear much about female comedians in this area, so it’s cool that we’re bringing one here who will present some funny stuff,” Hawkins said. “When I heard she was coming, I looked up some of her stuff on YouTube and she is hilarious. I think she will bring a different kind of student.”

Senior public health major Zac Hill said he wants to go the event, but cannot because of work reasons.

“CAB does a lot of stuff on Thursdays, which is really inconvenient for me,” Hill said. “My work schedule does not allow me to go and I hate that I’m going to miss it, but I’ll try to catch the next event next time around. I want to look her up though and see what I’m missing because I love comedians.”

The show is free to students and faculty with a valid Marshall ID.

Desmond Groves can be contacted [email protected]