Study Abroad Fair helps students learn about opportunities

More stories from Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Study Abroad Office holds Study Abroad Fair in student center.

Marshall University’s Study Abroad Office held a Study Abroad Fair yesterday Sept. 15, where students were able to find out more information about potentially studying abroad, locations to visit, financial aid and how to get started. Study abroad can be a life changing experience that not many students take advantage of. Studying abroad allows students enhance their resumes and form cross-cultural communication skills.

“If I could go anywhere I would go to Mexico or Spain, I love the culture. I just want to be immersed in that entire culture. I’m looking forward to getting future information so that I can one day study abroad and expand my horizons,” Marshall University Sophomore and fair attendee Jessica Capron said.

The sky is the limit in terms of where students can go with the study abroad program. In order to get into the program, students must have completed their freshman year, have earned a 2.75 GPA or higher, must be self-driven, independent, and have an interest to learn about other cultures.

“Studying abroad really just opens your eyes to a lot of different perspectives.”

— Katelyn McGuffin

Senior Communication Studies major, Katelyn McGuffin just recently had an experience studying abroad in Morocco during the spring of 2015. “Studying abroad really just opens your eyes to a lot of different perspectives,” McGuffin said. “I got to meet people from completely different backgrounds than me. I met people from different religions, just perspectives, and politics. I really learned a lot more outside the class then I did inside. For every continent there is pretty much a study abroad program that Marshall can hook you up with.”

Graduate student and even volunteer, Angel Ogamba thinks that people need to broaden their horizons. “It’s an amazing experience. We don’t live in a box. So many things influence us,” Ogamba said. “There is so much to see out in the world, it’s important to be fluent in other cultures. Not only are you getting an opportunity of a life time but you are getting class credit for it.”

For more information on studying abroad, students can contact Interim Coordinator of Study Abroad and Global Engagement. The Office of Study Abroad is located in Old Main room 321 and be reached by telephone via (304)-696-4306.

Michael Brown can be contacted at [email protected].