Martin Records Triple-Double in Loss Against ODU

Courtesy of HerdZone
Martin is second in the Sun Belt in double-doubles this season, tallying 12.

Junior forward Nate Martin recorded the eighth triple-double in Herd Men’s Basketball history as the team lost to Old Dominion 83-76 at the Cam Henderson Center on Wednesday, Feb. 1.

A triple double is reaching double digits in three different statistical categories. Martin had 15 points, 12 rebounds, and a career-high 10 assists to reach this historic mark.

“I wish he’d have made it 11 assists instead of 10,” head coach Dan D’Antoni  said about Martin’s performance. “But he’s a warrior. He does a good job for us.”

Martin’s triple-double was the first one for Marshall since Jan. 20, 2018, when John Elmore had 14 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists against the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

During the game against ODU, there were eight total lead changes and six ties, but the Monarchs won the game with the help of a late run that saw them push past the Herd.

Old Dominion scored 13 of the final 16 points of the game to win only its second game in the Sunbelt this year. Both wins were against Marshall following the matchup.

“They shot the ball really well. I thought we defended it well, and they just shot it really well,” D’Antoni said. “We made critical mistakes down the end.”

Marshall started off slow and was down by as many as 11 points early in the game.

“Every game’s a war,” Martin said. “We can’t come out moping around because they’re just going to come out and beat us if we do that.” 

In the loss, graduate student Kevon Voyles had his second performance with more than 20 points this season. Voyles scored 23 points on 8-for-15 shooting, which was a new season-high.

Additionally, senior Obinna Anochili-Killen recorded a double-double (double digits in three different statistical categories) during the game by scoring 15 points on 6-for-11 shooting and registering 11 rebounds. 

The only double-digit scorer outside of Voyles, Martin and Anochili-Killen was senior Kamdyn Curfman. Curfman scored 11 points on 4-for-19 shooting. Of his made shots, three were three pointers.

Marshall outrebounded Old Dominion 39-38, including winning the offensive rebound battle 11-6.

In the game, the Herd shot 42% from the field on 28-for-66 shooting. The Herd also shot 9-for-15 from the free-throw line for 60 percent shooting.

Old Dominion, meanwhile, shot 49% from the field, going 29-for-59 shooting. Of their shots, 8 were three-pointers.

Old Dominion also had four double-digit scorers in the game. Devin Ceaser scored 20 points on 7-for-16 shooting, Chaunce Jenkins scored 17 on 5-for-16 shooting, Tyrone Williams scored 15 on 4-for-9 shooting and Bryce Baker scored 12 on 4-6 shooting.

After the loss, Marshall’s record moved to 11-12 overall and 6-4 in Sun Belt play, and Old Dominion moved to 6-16 overall and 2-8 in Sun Belt play.