Women’s Basketball Drops a Close Game to Old Dominion on Senior Night

Roshala Scott, Courtesy of HerdZone

Luke Hamilton, Student Reporter

Old Dominion gave Marshall their fourth loss in a row at the last game on senior night.

The Herd started the game by taking a one-point lead going into the second quarter. Roshala Scott had a pair of jump shots in the first quarter, and junior guard Abby Beeman had six points in the paint.

Marshall outscored the Monarchs by six points in the second quarter thanks to some free throws and layups from Scott and Beeman. Center Mahogany Matthews also added some rebounds to the box score along with a layup.

Marshall put up 35 points in the first half, which gave the Herd a seven-point lead. The lead was cut down to two points for Marshall despite 10 points coming from Scott.

Jordan McLaughlin led the way for the Monarchs with 21 points in the game.McLaughlin had nine points in the fourth quarter, and Kaye Clark hit the game sealing shot that put the Monarchs on top by four with twenty-five seconds left. 

Marshall had no choice and fouled the Monarchs twice, which gave them a three-point lead at the free throw line. Scott had 25 points in the game, but missed the game tying three that could have forced overtime.

Marshall fell in the standings after the loss to Old Dominion, with eight conference wins and nine losses. The Thundering Herd takes on James Madison this Friday in Virginia at 5 p.m.