Resident Advisor Dies in Willis Hall

Conner Woodruff, Managing Editor

A Marshall University student and residential advisor was found dead in his dorm room over the weekend.

Quinton “Q” Bogner, Willis Hall resident advisor and a third-year secondary education major, died in Willis Hall on Sunday morning presumably due to medical issues. Bogner was a graduate of Willard High School in Willard, Missouri.

In an email to the student body sent out Sunday, Jan. 29, University President Brad Smith shared that a Marshall student had been found dead early Sunday morning in their residence hall dorm room, according to the Marshall University Police Department. 

The 21-year-old Bogner had received a heart transplant around 2014, as mentioned by the American Heart Association of Missouri’s Twitter account.

Bogner’s father, Brett Bogner spoke about his family’s loss in a public Facebook post.

“We are doing what most parents should never have to do,” Bogner said. “We are all heartbroken and at a loss of words.”

Bogner had celebrated his 21st birthday during last week of December.

Bogner was also active in religious life on campus with President Smith sharing that counselling will also be available at the Campus Christian Center.

Smith also encourages all students who are unsettled by the news to reach out to the counseling center. Hours are Monday, Thursday and Friday from 8:00 to 5:00 p.m. and Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:00 to 6:00 p.m. in Prichard Hall.

“When things like this happen, we may experience a range of emotions and reactions – shock, sadness, fear and even anger,” Smith said. “These reactions may ebb and flow in the coming days and are normal in processing such tragedy and loss.