Women’s Soccer Revels in Offensive Attack, Rolls Over Texas State

Via+HerdZone

Via HerdZone

Johnathan Edwards, Student Reporter

Marshall women’s soccer team frequently found the net in a 4-1 showcase of offensive power Sunday, Oct. 23. A resurgent Herd crew now finds itself among the crop in a race for Sun Belt tournament qualification, just three points away from making the cut with a few games to go. 

Scoring came early for Marshall, with Kat Gonzalez finding the net in the game’s first six minutes. Texas State answered before the 20-minute mark to tie the game at one goal each. 

Alexis Wolgemuth had one save but only faced two shots on goal. She got the job done and played efficiently on a day when that effort was more than enough. Tied up at the half, Marshall returned from the break with the last three goals to seal a crucial victory. 

A vital victory cannot get in the way of the team’s concentration, with Gonzalez saying, “I think we need to focus.” 

Her words encapsulate a resilient team’s mindset, ready to take this second half of the season’s resurgence into the final stretch. “We are growing as a team,” Gonzalez said, commenting on the squad’s progression.

The electric duo of Gonzalez and Morgan White spearheaded the Herd’s cutthroat turnaround, leading the way to victory. White racked up a goal in tandem with the two from Gonzalez. Luiza Travassos rounded out the scoring for Marshall to complete the four-goal entourage on Sunday. 

Marshall women’s soccer is back in action in a critical regular-season finale against Old Dominion Thursday. Kickoff for the do-or-die matchup is set for 7 p.m. in Norfolk.