Marshall students raise money to combat world hunger

Marshall University students are working to combat the issue of world hunger through their partnership with feedONE.

“No one deserves to go hungry,” said Manny Savilla, a freshman studying athletic training. “Everyone deserves an equal chance, and this program helps to put everyone on an equal playing field.”

Students of the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship will be on campus throughout the month of November raising money through donations and events to help those who are less fortunate around the world.

It is estimated that roughly 795 million people, or one out of every nine individuals on earth, do not have enough food to live a healthy, active life, contributing to 3.1 million child deaths each year, according to the Food Aid Foundation.

“We started this initiative a few years ago, but last year was the first big push for our organization to work closely with feedONE,” said Caleb Murray, campus pastor at Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship. “Last year we raised around $1,000 through t-shirt sales, VR rentals, and then this year our goal is to reach $2,500.”

The fellowship was first contacted by the organization a couple of years ago, and since then they have worked closely to help feedONE.

“FeedONE is a part of a larger organization called Convoy of Hope, which also does everything from disaster relief to helping local community programs,” Murray said. “The more I learn about feedONE, the more I’m all for the organization.”

The organization is active in more than 14 countries, with aid going to support over 200,000 children who are in danger of starvation.

In the first three days of their campaign, the fellowship has already raised more than $250, and some members said they wish to see this number grow as more students become aware of how they can help.

“If you go to feedone.com/marshallxa, you can give to our campus campaign, and that way we can track our progress and celebrate what God is doing here on campus,” Murray said. “We really want to reach the goal we have been praying for.”

Savilla said it is essential that students help these organizations address the problem of world hunger in order to improve the quality of life on earth.

“I think they also have a great message: ‘If you can’t feed a million, just feed one.’ If you can’t save everyone, at least you can try to save someone,” Savilla said. “I’m just glad that there is someone willing to try to stop this issue around the world.”

Blake Newhouse can be contacted at [email protected].