HRL seeking resident advisers and academic mentors

Marshall University Housing and Residence Life planned upcoming events for old and new students.

Tracey Eggleston, the assistant director at HRL, said the deadline for the Academic Selection program is approaching.

Eggleston said they are looking for academic mentors and resident advisors to apply.

Students can apply on the HRL website by Feb. 13 at 4 p.m.

Interviews for the positions will take place Feb. 28 and March 1 in Corbly Hall.

Students who become academic mentors will need to perform such tasks as tutoring, giving academic advice and holding academic and life skills programs. Resident advisors are also needed for the fall semester.

They must be able to help their floor’s residents if they are in need, plan activities on the bulletin boards and build a community on the floor.

Resident advisors and academic mentors will be assigned to a floor of the residence halls and will live there with the other students throughout the semester.

Eggleston said about 40 students have already been hired for the 2015 fall semester.

Eggleston said they are looking for students who have or want to develop strong leadership skills.

HRL is offering resume and cover letter writing workshops on Jan. 28 at 1 p.m. in the Student Resource Center and Jan. 29 at 7 p.m. in the Twin Towers West Classroom.

Eggleston said these writing workshops are for students who need assistance with preparing their resumes and cover letters.

An open halls event will take place on Feb. 4 for freshman students to tour the campus residence halls and to receive help with housing accommodations for the fall semester.

Matthew Eplion can be contacted at [email protected].