Seniors reflect on capstone exhibitions

Graduating seniors presented their individual bodies of work as part of their capstones during “Student Capstone Exhibitions” at the Charles W. and Norma C. Carroll Gallery at Marshall’s Visual Arts Center.

The seniors were split into two groups. The second group included George Cook, Joel DeAlba, Chad Floyd, John Hicks, Moriah Lockhart and Lara Peavler and the exhibit was open Nov. 28 through Dec. 1.

Graphic design, ceramics, photography and painting were reflected, as the students are graduating with these emphases.
George Cook displayed photographs that were inspired by Japanese landscape paintings that were taken at a portrait orientation rather than landscape.

Joel DeAlba’s capstone was “Embracing Technology Thinking” and was about his daily interactions with tech devices.

“My goal for this work is to show differences between humans and technology,” DeAlba said. “Conveying unpredictable human feelings against the predictable uniformity of devices that almost consume humanity are the primary themes.”

Lara Peavler’s capstone was focused around fear and misunderstanding. Some of the canvases were about her fear of drowning.

“When viewed through multiple perspectives and scales, things become more clear, more understood, or even in my case, become beautiful,” Peavler said.

Moriah Lockhart was inspired by Milton Glaser’s “I Love New York” logo. Glaser created the logo as a gift for his home state to help the tourism industry.

“About a year ago, I asked myself ‘What can I do for my home state?’ Then I followed that question with ‘Why is my state not growing like other states?’” Lockhart said. “My infographic and video shared the information I discovered. You have to be aware to change things, and that is exactly the point of my capstone.”

John Hicks wanted to focus his capstone on something that he was interested in.

“It focused on extraterrestrial life and the unknown throughout history,” Hicks said. “It took a lot of work and was frustrating at times, but I had a lot of fun making every piece that went into my capstone.”

Chad Floyd’s capstone was “Artist vs. Designer” which is a take on the idea that there is a division, or separation, between art and design.

“I feel this is simply not the case, because the distinction lies in that to the designers of this world, design is foremost always art, but not always is art considered to be design; design comes from a function,” Floyd said. “My works in the show are meant to be a representation of my inner self, and how I feel, think, and work during the creative process of making art and design.”

After finishing their capstone, students reflected on their inspiration for their passion for art.

“Fascinated by the ability to draw popular spaceships and characters from Star Wars for classmates, I began to realize that I had a passion and talent for drawing,” DeAlba said. “Drawings Star Wars from concept artist Ralph McQuarrie, illustrations from The Brothers Hildebrandt, Greg & Tim, and other popular culture influenced me to want to become an artist.”

“My grandmother was the first person in my life that I remember to encourage my creativity and exploratory behavior as a kid,” Floyd said. “I was always super curious, but I could figure things out pretty quickly and wind up with something cool. My grandmother loved that, and I loved making things for her. As time progressed, so did my development as an artist.”

“I have always been interested in art, but it became a passion of mine after losing my father, Charles Marshall Peavler, right before entering high school,” Peavler said. “Art was not only more beautiful and meaningful to me, but it was also a form of therapy.”

“My parents were always very supportive, and I have been involved in art since a young age,” Hicks said. “It was always my go to subject.”

“Starting at a very early age, I was very fascinated with drawing,” Lockhart said. “I think this was influenced by my grandpa because he always made sure I had a notebook or journal. Then he introduced me to Microsoft paint at the age of 6, everything else is history.”

With graduation approaching, each artist had people they wanted to thank for getting them to where they are.

“I would of course always like to thank my family,” Floyd said. “My father, specifically, for taking a lot of time out of his life to help me every step of the way with this show. I think it is really important to note that I would be nothing without the discipline and attention to detail I learned from my father, and especially my grandfather.”

“I would like to thank all the faculty and staff at Marshall University on campus and at the Visual Art Center,” DeAlba said, “and give special thanks to artists that have been my teachers and encouraged me to explore process, different techniques, and use of various media: Mary Grassell, Brent Thomas, Pete Massing, Jonathan Cox, Ian Hagarty and Director Sandra Reed.”

“I have to thank my painting and capstone teacher Ian Hagarty for being a great mentor,” Peavler said, “my boyfriend Lance Crampton and my family for all their support, and my mother Rhea Peavler; I couldn’t have done any of this without her.”

“I would like to thank my friends, family and faculty that have helped me to this accomplishment,” Hicks said.

“I could not have done this without the support of my teachers,” Lockhart said. “My family, friends, and college peers have always been here to encourage me and help me get through any struggles. I am extremely lucky to have people like this in my life.”

Krislyn Holden can be contacted at [email protected].