Herd women optimistic about season

Malcolm Walton, Contributor

The Marshall University women’s basketball team struggled to put up points last season, but the Herd players are optimistic about the upcoming season.

“We’re looking ahead,” sophomore small forward Chelsey Romero said during media day. “There’s no point of dwelling on the past.”

The Herd averaged 63.3 points per game last season, which placed the team 14th among the 16 teams in Conference USA in that category. The Herd finished the season 11- 20—the worst record in the conference.

“When we hit adversity, we can’t let that keep us down,” said senior center Chukwuka Ezeigbo “That’s something that was a problem last season.”

The 2013- 2014 team was 7-6 before going on an eight game losing streak midway through the season. During the losing streak, the team averaged 56.5 points per game and shot 34.8 percent from the field.

“We put in a system called the 3-point license,” Ezeigbo said. “Basically, you have to make 30 out of 50 3-pointers five times before you get your license to shoot in a game. That’s definitely going to help the team with shooting.”

Suporia Dickens, who was the second leading scorer on the team last season, is no longer with the team. Dickens averaged 9.7 points per game. Ezeigbo said she thinks senior power forward Leah Scott will be one player who can help fill the void of Dickens.

“Leah actually played guard last season, but I think she’ll be very good for us offensively in her new spot,” Ezeigbo said. “I know she doesn’t like being in the post too much but I’m sure she’ll get accustomed to it soon.

Ezeigbo said she expects more from the team despite coming off of a tough season.

“The goal is for us to win the conference,” she said. “We just have to take it one game at a time, one play at a time.”

Malcom Walton can be contacted at [email protected].