Meet an INTO-MU Student: Ruiqing Zhao

Ruiqing+Zhao

Jared Casto

Ruiqing Zhao

Ruiqing Zhao is a Chinese graduate student who has been at Marshall University for five months. Previously, Zhao obtained his undergraduate degree in Human Resource Management at Huaqiao University in China. Currently he is an INTO student studying Academic English. So far, Zhao has enjoyed the smaller population of Huntington and the cleaner air compared to his hometown. Zhao has also adopted an enjoyment for American football, a sport that isn’t very popular in his native country. After graduating, Zhao hopes to get a job for a few years, gain experience, and eventually return to his home.

Q: How long have you lived in America?

A: I have lived in America for about five months and I’ve been at Marshall for four.

Q: What is the biggest difference in American from your home?

A: The biggest difference at Huntington is the population is less than my hometown. Huntington doesn’t have big tall buildings. In my hometown we have a lot of tall buildings. Huntington almost doesn’t have traffic jams. Huntington air is also cleaner than my hometown and I like that.

Q: How and why did you choose to come to Marshall?

A: First, I checked Marshall. The rank is not bad. Second, my GPA and English level are not very good. Marshall gave me offers to come here.

Q: What are your plans for after you graduate?

A: I think it’s best I can find a job here to get some experience. And about four years later I’ll go back to my home because I still want to go back.

Q: Are you interested in having a job here or at your home?

A: Actually, in my hometown. I just want to get some experience here.

Q: How do you keep in touch with your family?

A: With my family, I use WeChat. And we also have FaceTime and Talkie chat.

Q: What has been your favorite experience so far in America?

A: I think it’s football games. Because in my hometown I don’t have many chances to watch the football games. I know that Marshall University is very good.

Q: Is there anything else you would like students at Marshall University to know about you?

A: I just came here five months ago and I have found some interesting things. I’m so busy with learning my English. I think I must improve it first before I do anything else.

Jared Casto can be contacted at [email protected]