Meet an INTO Marshall Student: Shahid Ali

dscn0625
Monica Zalaznik | The Parthenon

Shahid Ali is an INTO student from India and came to Marshall University to pursue his major in computer science.

“Before I came here, I got my bachelor’s degree in computer science,” Ali said. “I am a geek of computer science. I love computer science, computers, technology and programing languages. So back in India, before getting my bachelors, I worked for a company over there and I learned that to expand your knowledge you have to move to some other place apart from India.”

Ali said some of the biggest differences between America and India can be seen in the people.

“The biggest differences would be in the culture, the level of knowledge, the expertise of the professors and different people,” he said.

His favorite things about campus can be seen all over.

“The mascot, the green color; I love the green color,” Ali said.

Ali said he initially heard about Marshall because of the “We Are Marshall” movie before even considering attending Marshall.

“Marshall is very famous for its movie and we all knew that back in India. We all saw that movie before actually knowing about Marshall University,” Ali said. “It’s one of the oldest universities here and the subjects this university offers is much more interesting to me than any other university I could get into. And being an INTO student really helped me with my English, my writing, my listening and my speaking.”

Ali is a member of the Campus Activities Board on campus and said the hobbies he takes part in have been activities he has enjoyed since before he moved to America.

“In leisure time I like playing guitar, reading novels, composing some Indian songs,” he said.

Ali said after he graduates he hopes to stay in America for a time, but not forever.

“I would like to stay in America and get some work experience first,” he said, “and then I would like to head back to India so I can start my own work and be a freelancer.”

Monica Zalaznik can be reached at [email protected]