Let’s talk about sex

Dr. Jennie Yoost presented a lecture to students Tuesday regarding how to talk to their respective doctors about sex.

Hosted by the Marshall University Students for Reproductive Justice, students developed the event as part of sex week.

Students in attendance learned about ways they can talk with their doctors about sex in a calm and sincere way. Sex and birth control can be a topic that tends to be sensitive, so Yoost gave a perspective to help increase student confidence in talking about the subject.

“They, sex and birth control, are both very important topics, so hopefully you can come to your doctor and talk about these topics,” Yoost said. “I want people to look at their body and functions in a normal way. Sex is a health issue. We are all sexual beings and it is all normal. It is how your body functions.”

Yoost said it isn’t just students who have issues when it comes to talking about sex.

“Physicians in general are bad about talking about sex,” Yoost said. “In fact, only 63 percent of physicians ask about sexual relationships, about 43 percent ask about sexual health related problem and only 14 percent ask about sexual pleasure.”

Yoost said being direct is one of the best things students can do when they talk to physicians about sex.

“It is important to ask and answer questions in a unique way that describes exactly what you are feeling or doing,” Yoost said. “It is also very important to be very open and honest. Be in charge of your sexual health. If you have a concern, come prepared with those questions or concerns. If you feel awkward, try to rephrase the question. Or if you feel awkward with your doctor, it would be smart to find a new one.”

While discussing what you can do right at the doctor appointment, Yoost also said students can do plenty wrong.

“One of the worst things that a patient can do is almost be out the door and then develop a health related topic,” Yoost said. “From there, we kind of have to regroup and talk about a new diagnosis or even possibly a new medication or disease. It is very important to have your questions already prepared for your doctor. Don’t be afraid to come out and talk about what is going on with your body.”

Yoost said the confidential topic of students’ sex life is vital to have with a doctor and continues to be important for a variety of reasons.

“In having a discussion it is important to know that your care is confidential,” Yoost said. “Anything that you exchange with your physician is completely confidential.”

Sabrena Hirst can be contacted at [email protected].