MU professors get pi’ed for Pi Day

Darius Booker

Kiersten Looney, treasurer of the Thundering Nerds, pies the face of Michael Schroeder, assistant professor of mathmatics, during Pi Day celebration Monday at Buskirk Field.

The Marshall University Department of Mathematics celebrated National Pi Day Monday on Buskirk Field.

Pi Day is a nationwide mathematical holiday celebrated by many different people, especially those who find themselves in “love” with mathematics.

President of the Thundering Nerds math club and treasurer of Pi Mu Epsilon Math Honor Society Sara Brumbaugh said Pi is definitely important to her.

“I want everyone to know about Pi, It’s the one day where math is highly recognized, so everyone can know about Pi Day,” Brumbaugh said.

Brumbaugh, who also has clinical hours at Huntington High School, said she went around during the day telling younger students all about the significance of Pi.

The Department of Mathematics sponsored a Pi Day festivities including, The Thundering Nerds fundraiser, where students had the opportunity to pie one of their favorite or least favorite professors in the face.

Assistant professor of the math department Dr. Michael Schroeder won the most votes among the professors who were committed to the fundraiser to receive the pie in the face.

Schroder said Pi Day was an extremely significant day in his life.

“It’s a day we can celebrate mathematics and it’s special to me because I was married on Pi Day,” Schroeder said. “This is my seventh year anniversary.”

Marshall students stopped by the festivities to watch professors get pied in the face, play games and enjoy pizza “pie.”

Marshall University student Ashley Dunham said she loves math and thinks it’s important and should be celebrated.

“I’m sort of a math nerd and I plan to be a math teacher one day,” Dunham said. “I think that it would be a fun thing to do, to celebrate in my future classroom.”

The organizations raised about $170. Proceeds will be split between The Thundering Nerds and Pi Mu Epsilon.

The Thundering Nerds is a student-run club that offers both logic based conversations as well as technical conversations on mathematics as well as many other activities.

Pi Mu Epsilon is the math honor society. Membership into the society is by invite.

Both organizations will be using the proceeds to fund future math conferences, meetings and induction ceremonies.

The Thundering Nerds is open to any student and has no membership fee. The only requirement is a love for mathematics.

Darius Booker can be contacted at [email protected].