MISS AND MR. MARSHALL ANNOUNCED AT HOMECOMING

Richard Crank

Senior and Student Body Vice President Izzy Rogner was named Miss Marshall and fellow senior Nigel Wallace was named Mr. Marshall Saturday during halftime at Marshall’s Homecoming game.

The titles for 2015 Mr. and Miss Marshall were named during halftime of Saturday’s Homecoming game.

The titles were awarded to seniors Nigel Wallace and current Student Body vice president Isabelle Rogner.

Rogner, an international business major with a minor in political science, and Wallace, a management and marketing with a minor in entrepreneurship, won their sashes and crowns by spending the last couple of weeks campaigning on campus and encouraging students to vote.

“When they announced my name, all of my memories from the past four years at Marshall rushed through my mind,” Rogner said. “My passion for the university came through me with tears of joy and it began to sprinkle rain as soon as Morgan put my crown on. I knew both my late grandparents were cheering me on from upstairs. It was hands down, the best moment of my life.”

Rogner is from Lewisburg, West Virginia. Rogner runs cross-country, the same organization that sponsored her campaign.

Rogner decided to run in hopes of being a good role model.

“I want to be an inspiration for young girls that want to take on leadership roles that are usually male dominated,” Rogner said. “They can be impactful and not have to wait for opportunities and make opportunities for themselves.”

Rogner plans on using her title to work and donate to the A.D. Lewis Community Center.

“I want to set it up to where I can meet up with the girls [at the center] at least once a month and do a meet and greet sort of thing where I can talk to the girls and discuss their dreams for higher education,” Rogner said. “They need to know they do not have to be super girly to have these leadership roles and they can do whatever they want in the state of West Virginia.”

Wallace said he felt elated on Saturday.

“It is hard to describe,” Wallace said. “If I had to use one word to describe that way I felt whenever my name was called, it would have to be elation.”

Wallace is from Logan, West Virginia and was sponsored by the Collegiate Entrepreneurship Organization.

“Now that I’ve obtained the title and position of Mr. Marshall, I plan on using it effectively,” Wallace said. “Hopefully beginning what is to be a long span of public speaking opportunities or events, for local students and schools and organizations in the Tri-State area, to empower the youth and let them know about life and opportunity after high school education.”

Students with the titles Mr. and Miss Marshall are required to attend the Capital Classic Basketball games, Marshall University Day at the Capitol, Alumni Weekend events, Homecoming 2016 to crown the new Mr. and Miss Marshall and accommodate special requests by the Office of the President, the Office of Communications or the Office of Student Activities.

Wallace and Rogner will hold their titles until next year’s Homecoming game.

Desmond Groves can be contacted at [email protected].