Homecoming court applications due September 30

Homecoming 2015 is just around the corner and the theme for this year’s event is “A Blast from the Past: 1980s.”

Candidates must submit the applications by 12 p.m. and in person at the Office of Student Activities, Memorial Student Center room 2W31 on Sept. 30. Applicants must have a sponsoring organization that has turned in a sponsorship packet and recommendation letter.

Thunder Cup events such as the Thundering Pomp Competition, Penny Wars, Canned Food Art, So M.U. Think You Can Dance, and Yell Like Hell are all returning this year for student organizations/teams, Greek chapters and residence halls or councils to participate in.

Some of the rules have changed for this year. One rule in particular is that interview scores will not be used to decide winners unlike previous years, but instead will be used to improve personal interview skills.

Psychology student at the Marshall University Graduate College, and Miss Marshall contestant from last year, Ashley Prichard, said his campaigning experience was an overall positive time.

“I had a great voter turnout,” Prichard said. “One of the big reasons I didn’t win last year was because of the interview section, so I am happy the rules got changed on that on.”

Coordinator for Student Activities, Lee Tabor, said that homecoming is an exciting time for the students, alumni and community.

“Homecoming is one of the best time to be a Thundering Herd fan.”

— Kayla Adkins

“The Office of Student Activities is making every effort possible to amp up the involvement and fun for students and organizations,” Tabor said. “We are definitely looking forward to our new campus traditions being developed for this Homecoming including the bonfire, pep rally and the university 2015 burn shirt.”

Senior Political Science and History major, Kayla Adkins, said she looks forward to the homecoming events every year.

“Homecoming is one of the best time to be a Thundering Herd fan,” Adkins said. “I love all the events that go around on campus and just the whole way of watching students campaigning to win Mister and Miss Marshall are so much fun.”

Junior Marketing major and Resident Advisor, Sarah Bostic, said she loves the homecoming events because it gives her an opportunity to bond with her residents.

“Housing goes all out with decorating for homecoming,” Bostic said. “It gets everyone excited for homecoming and my residents love the involvement they have.”

Events start on Oct. 16 and end on Oct. 24 with the Football Homecoming game.

Desmond Groves can be contacted at [email protected].