Students avoid wet feet with footwear choices

“I don’t really think there is a shoe that is best for winter except ugly snow boots that are made for the coldness and the storms.”

With the influx of snow and ice this week students at Marshall University try to avoid a slip by buying shoes with extra grip.
Students said winter footwear is important this time of the year and students say only certain shoes are suitable.
“I wear rain boots, sneakers, and any type of boots in this weather,” said junior psychology major Shaitece Trigg. “They have grip, a hard sole, and cover the entire foot, which gives me more protection from rain and snow.”
One student said she bases her winter footwear choices on whether they have failed her in the past or not.
“I’ve walked in the snow with regular rain boots and riding boots and have busted my butt because they don’t have good tread on the bottom,” said junior biology and psychology major Alexis James-Joyce. “But my snowshoes have yet to fail me.”
Some students think fashion should play a major role in winter footwear and would not like to adapt to simple winter styles.
“I don’t really think there is a shoe that is best for winter except ugly snow boots that are made for the coldness and the storms,” said sophomore criminal justice major Nandi Awad. “I feel like I need a shoe that’s cute and will help me get through the winter, but I do not want to buy snow boots.”
Students agreed that it is difficult to get around in this weather because it is unsafe to drive, and the correct footwear is a necessity when they are forced to walk.
One student gave advice on what characteristics a winter shoe should have.
“If your shoe can keep your feet warm it’s a great winter weather shoe,” said sophomore pre-nursing student Lakiesha Bowman. “Fashion is always a factor, people always think that just because its winter they can’t dress pretty and be comfy at the same time.”
Nichole Henderson can be contacted at [email protected].