Filed under OPINION

EDITORIAL: Why we remember

Back to Article
Back to Article

EDITORIAL: Why we remember

FILE PHOTO

FILE PHOTO

FILE PHOTO

“In the middle of Huntington, West Virginia, there’s a river. Next to this river, there’s a steel mill. And next to the steel mill, there is a school. In the middle of the school, there is a fountain. Each year on the exact same day, at the exact same hour, the water to this fountain is turned off. And in this moment once every year, throughout the town, throughout the schooltime stands still.”

The day has come, once again, another year having passed by since that day in 1970, a day that would linger in the memories of Marshall University and the Huntington coommunity for years  to come. 

The fountain roars still in the morning, awaiting its finale, when in one quick moment, the water stops flowing, and slow, steady drips are all that remain. Silence is its new song. Pause. Stop. Reflect. Remember.

We remember the players and students who were just beginning their lives–promising young people with futures wide open.

We remember the coaches and staff who devoted their time, energy and devotion to a team and their community, fostering passion in young lives.

We remember the community members, fierce supporters of Marshall and Huntington, lovers of the Herd.

And we remember the flight crew who lost their lives , those who went to work and never came back.

It’s no secret that Marshall football is important to the Huntington community. In so many ways, it may just be the heartbeat. Our football program, and subsequently the community as a whole, is marked in history as one of tragedy and adversity. In this same span though, we are marked in history as overcomers, and every time the Thundering Herd takes to the field, we are reminded of that.

In a society that feels increasingly selfish, a world steeped in darkness and hopelessness,it is here on this one day at this one time that we are reminded that even in the darkest of times, when life seems too overwhelming, that we can go on.  In a culture that feels divided and angry, we can see clearly reflected in the fountain’s waters the faces of our neighbors, our classmates, our friends and family. At the fountain ceremony, there is no us and them. There is just simply, “we are…” 

We can see that to be human requires empathy and compassion and hope. We can see the power that can be found when we come together as one unit, as one team. 

At Marshall University, we will always remember. It is who we are. It is the responsibility of being a son or daughter of Marshall, to carry on the traditions of remembering,  to carry on a devotion to community.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “EDITORIAL: Why we remember”

1. KIm on November 14th, 2018 1:33 pm

brilliant writing 🙄

2. Kim Turley on November 14th, 2018 1:34 pm

Wrong emoji in first post, Franklin! Oops!
    You are such an incredible writer. Love your articles!!

3. Sally Cottrell on November 14th, 2018 3:49 pm

Thank you, from a family member. RIP #43 and 74 other souls

4. Donna Smith on November 14th, 2018 7:47 pm

I didn’t make it to the Memorial Service at the Fountain today. I was there in spirit though. I had a doctor appointment at St Mary’s. After I finished there, I asked my husband to drive down to campus…my heart ached as we drove down 3rd Ave and back up 5th and memories flooded my soul. The stillness on campus after the accident is the one thing that sticks out in my mind most. The dorm, classes and cafeteria were so quiet.
    Before heading home we drove by the Fountain and all was still there after everyone had left. God be with all of us who are old enough to remember that fateful night…the families, the friends, students, the town. We will never forget. WE ARE…MARSHALL!

• EDITORIAL: Why we remember

OPINION

EDITORIAL: Marshall entering a new era

• EDITORIAL: Why we remember

COLUMN

Goodbye, Marshall. From Rick Farlow

• EDITORIAL: Why we remember

COLUMN

Farewell from Executive Editor Sadie Helmick

• EDITORIAL: Why we remember

COLUMN

LET ME BE FRANK: One Last Time

• OPINION

EDITORIAL: ‘Rock-Throwers’ and toddlers–the complex situation at the border

• EDITORIAL: Why we remember

COLUMN

My Melanin is NOT your makeup

• EDITORIAL: Why we remember

COLUMN

LET ME BE FRANK: On Food

• COLUMN

COLUMN: Support the Soldiers; End the Wars

• COLUMN

Amendment 1 is a giant step back for West Virginia women

• EDITORIAL: Why we remember

COLUMN

Veterans Day is about more than just parades