Marshall welcomes first Planned Parenthood awareness group

Kyra Biscarner | The Parthenon

Morgan Karnell, president of Planned Parenthood Generation Action provides attendees with information about Planned Parenthood Generation Action.

Planned Parenthood Generation Action is cementing its spot on Marshall’s campus. The group officially launched Monday, providing students information about what the group plans to do.

Morgan Karnell, president of Planned Parenthood Generation Action, said she hopes this event helps get people excited and also helps to educate students about the organization.

“It’s really to get people excited and learn more about the club so they can just come and learn more about how we’re learning and doing things for reproductive rights on campus and in the community,” Karnell said.

Kyra Biscarner and Nick Herrick

The group was previously known as the Students for Reproductive Justice, but Karnell said the change will help bring a familiarity to the organization.

“It’s going through a transformation to Planned Parenthood Generation Action so people are more familiar with the name and we have more opportunities through the organization,” Karnell said.

Representatives from Planned Parenthood were also present for the event to answer any questions about the new club and also about Planned Parenthood as a whole.

Emily Thompson, field organizer for Planned Parenthood South Atlantic, said she thinks having an organization like Planned Parenthood on a college campus will help inform students about their options when it comes to reproductive healthcare.

“Women, men and young people and people of all ages need reproductive healthcare and to be empowered and to know about their options and know how to advocate for their options,” Thompson said. “College students have such power and such potential, so having this type of thing on campus is really important.”

At the event, attendees had the opportunity to provide their own ideas of how to help all students on campus. Some of the ideas included: making feminine products available to all students in on-campus bathrooms, discussing Marshall’s Title IX practices and providing UNI peer mentors with sexual assault training.

Karnell said she will be attending a summit to help come up with ideas on how to bring change to Marshall’s campus. Karnell said she hopes the club will be able to provide meaningful changes to Marshall.

“Next week, I’m going to Charlotte for a planned parenthood summit,” Karnell said. “We’re going to learn how to have a campus campaign, and through that, we’re going to try to make changes on campus that are meaningful and hopefully help people.”

Kyra Biscarner can be contacted at [email protected].