Sigma Tau Gamma helps Huntington City Mission

Hannah Sayre, Reporter

Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity is having a canned food and clothing drive until Dec. 12.

The canned food and clothing that is collected will be donated to the Huntington City Mission in an effort to replenish its food pantry and help the less fortunate during the holiday season.

Gabe Hoverman, Sigma Tau Gamma member, said the fraternity decided to do the drive because the Huntington City Mission really needs help this holiday season.

“The Huntington City Mission sees a lot more people coming in their doors during the holiday season than most other times of the year,” Hoverman said. “We want to do everything we can to help them in their time of need. We want to encourage students, faculty and staff to think of others and help out the less fortunate in the Huntington community. Not everyone is as lucky as others, and they may not have access to the necessities that we personally take for granted every day.”

Sigma Tau Gamma hopes to help feed and clothe at least 20 families this year. So far, the fraternity has had many donations from their friends, families and students.

Jake Hernandez, also a member of Sigma Tau Gamma, said the fraternity hopes to help the Huntington City Mission provide meals to as many families as possible this holiday season.

“The Huntington City Mission provides thousands of meals to men, women and children every year, and we hope to be a part of what makes this possible.”

Anyone wanting to donate canned food or lightly used clothing to the Huntington City Mission can drop his or her donations off at the Sigma Tau Gamma house on Fifth Avenue or contact a member of the fraternity.

In response to the cold weather, the members of the fraternity and the city mission are asking that people donate fall/winter clothes and coats.

“We all know it gets very chilly in Huntington during the winter season,” Hoverman said. “Our fraternity members would hate to see someone go without this basic necessity.”

Hannah Sayre can be contacted at [email protected].