Career Services preps students for Career Expo

Career Services helped students polish their resumes Tuesday and Wednesday in the Memorial Student Center lobby in preparation for the Career Expo event next week.

The Career Expo will be held from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday in the Don Morris Room in the Memorial Student Center.

The biannual event gives students a chance to meet with over 80 employers, ranging from Amazon, Panera Bread and the Robert C. Byrd Institute to the Appalachian School of Law, the Lexington Division of Police and the volunteer organization, Peace Corps.

A complete list of employers attending the event can be found at the Marshall University Career Services website.

Career counselor Beth Waugh said students can find jobs, internships and summer part-time jobs at the Career Expo. Waugh said they want students to have an updated resume to bring to the event to give to any interested employers.

“They want to make sure that it’s up to date, with all of their club activities, with all their scholarship activity, their internships, anything that they’ve done and been active with up until the current time,” Waugh said.

Career and academic planning consultant Denny Daugherty said a resume for someone graduating college is going to be different than a resume for someone who has worked in their field for 10 or 20 years.

Daugherty said when he looks at a student’s resume he starts at the top and makes sure the student has a good resume heading, then he checks to see if the appropriate questions have been addressed.

Daugherty said he checks if the student’s resume has a good objective or profile statement and that extracurricular activities and skills are covered. Daugherty said he is making sure students are marketing themselves as much as possible on the document.

“I just like to see students take advantage of it, because when I was in college I did not take enough advantage of resources like that,” Daugherty said. “They’re easy and they’re free, so it just helps someone be top of the game.”

Waugh said students may come to Career Services to have someone look over their resume anytime before the Career Expo or students may use JobTrax for their resume development. Students may also print up to 10 copies of their resume for free on professional resume paper at Career Services.

Amanda Gibson can be contacted at [email protected].