“Someone You Love”spreads HPV awareness

Marshall University Student Health showed the film “Someone You Love: The HPV Epidemic” in the Memorial Student Center Wednesday night for students. The film shows audiences the lives of five individuals who are dealing with the Human Papillomavirus.

Representatives from the Cabell County Health Department and the West Virginia Breast and Cervical Cancer Program were both present at the screening for students to ask questions and get information on how they can protect themselves from HPV and its effects.

Pediatric and adolescent gynecologist with Marshall Obstetrics and Gynecology Dr. Jennie Yoost was present at the film screening to answer questions attendees had in reference to the film or health and protection.

“HPV is a sexually transmitted disease however, this is more of a marker of sexual activity rather than having this bad stigma of this is a bad STD,” Yoost said. “It is really something that most people will get exposed to. Eighty percent of people will be exposed to HPV in their lifetime.”

“It isn’t a matter of if you ever get exposed to it or if you chose the right or wrong partner, it is a matter of really when you are going to get exposed to it. Most people will get infected with it in their lifetime.”

HPV is something that affects both men and women of all ages. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website, nearly all sexually active people get HPV at some point in their lives.

“We always talk about safe sex and limiting sexual partners and things like that, but HPV is one of these things that you can get it with your first sexual partner or you can get it with your 10th sexual partner so it is everywhere.” Yoost said.

HPV is one of the leading causes for cervical cancer in women. There are some precautions that can be taken to prevent catching or spreading the disease.

“As far as cervical cancer, the screening is a pap smear which women need when they’re 21, but under the age of 21 you need a vaccine called Gardasil which is essentially cancer prevention. It is a vaccine which is available pretty much everywhere. It is a three-dose series and it is the most effective thing we have in cancer or HPV prevention.” Yoost said.

The health problems that can develop from HPV are typically treatable, but it is essential to get any HPV related concerns checked immediately.

Yoost spoke about complications that can come from HPV.

“The majority of HPV infections are going to clear on their own, which is a good thing,” Yoost said. “However, I don’t have a crystal ball and I don’t know who is going to clear it and who’s not going to clear it. If you are somebody that is not going to clear the infection, it can go on and be problematic. You could develop genital warts, you could develop abnormal pap smears.”

Nurse practitioner from the Cabell County Health Department Heather Wood was present at the screening to talk about the HPV epidemic. Wood provided additional information on getting vaccinated and the importance of protecting your body. Wood said she finds it important to promote the vaccine because of the importance it holds.

“We know that the virus is very common, but we know that two of the viruses are directly linked to cervical cancer,” Wood said. “We can prevent it with a vaccine. We can keep people from getting it at all. Certainly if we can keep people from getting it, that’s what we want to do.”

The chances of preventing HPV increase with the proper self-care and the vaccine.

“I think everybody gets nervous about it because it involves sex. Parents in particular don’t want to really look at their children as sexual beings, but we know that if you vaccinate your child before there is any sexual activity we get the best protection that way,” Wood said.

HPV can be a sensitive subject to many, but the vaccination has the ability to prevent people from getting cervical cancer.

“I think that if parents could keep their child from getting lung cancer they would not hesitate for one minute from getting the shot, but because it is cervical or penile cancer they get all wigged out about it,” Wood said.

It only takes one sexual encounter to be exposed to HPV, but precautions can be easily taken; the Gardasil vaccine, a consistent use of condoms, or 100 percent abstinence. The vaccine is free for people under the age of 18, but the health department offers ways to make the vaccine free or affordable for people without insurance.

Sabrena Hirst can be contacted at [email protected].