Track and field team earns multiple top-30 finishes in Invitational

The Marshall University track and field team earned several top-30 individual finishes Saturday at the Kentucky Invitational in Lexington, Kentucky.

Senior Asia Bange led the way for the Herd in the 60-meter hurdles. Bange earned a spot in the finals and finished eighth with a time of 8.75 seconds.

Freshman Elisabeth Paulina finished 13th in the 800-meter run, posting a time of 2:17.84.

The top finisher for the Herd in the 200-meter dash was sophomore Naja Greer, who finished with a 26th place time of 25.20.

Marshall also had strong performances in field events. Freshman Hasana Clark emerged as the top Herd finisher in the weight throw with a 15.85-meter heave for 25th place.

Freshman Sarah Bever tied for 24th in the high jump (1.50 meters).

Freshman Elena Marchand also earned a 24th place performance in the shot put (12.43 meters).

In distance runs, senior Alexandra Phares (10:50.85) and sophomore Victoria Dent (10:54.94) finished the 3,000-meter run 38th and 42nd, respectively.

In the one mile run, the Herd’s highest finisher was junior Andrea Porter who finished 44th with a time of 5:33.11.

Marshall head cocah Jeff Small said he felt his team should have performed better than it did during the invitational.

“Our team looked really rusty coming off the winter break,” Small said in a news release. “We will go back to work on Monday and look forward to better performances in our upcoming meets.”

Small said despite a subpar overall performance by his team, he thought Bange and Paulina had good individual races in the invitational.

The Herd will be back in action Friday at the two-day Hokie Invitational, hosted by Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virgina.