Journalism internship panel answers students’ questions about experience

A panel of eight journalism students gathered Wednesday night in the John Deaver Drinko Library.

The panel answered multiple questions about their internships and conversed amongst each other about similarities and differences they have encountered.

Some of the questions asked addressed how each internship functioned as well as how each individual student handled themselves on the job. The goal was to educate future journalism students about the importance of an internship along with the required skills that come with it.

Students spoke about interesting and difficult situations they encountered throughout their internships and gave advice to future students on how to be competitive and stand out when applying for an internship.

“This is a collaboration among the clubs in the school of journalism,” said Jessica Ross, graduate student at Marshall University.

Ross said the presidents of the clubs and the internship panel would help give insight into what an internship is actually like. Ross said she hopes this event will help educate future interns and answer any questions they may have.

“We know students have a lot of questions on their mind going into an internship, and so we hope this will help ease the fear,” Ross said.

Ross said this gives students a chance to get student-on-student advice. Ross said this method of advice helps students out the most.

“It’s a great opportunity to allow the clubs to collaborate and really work together,” Ross said.

Ross said this is fantastic for the audience as well and said she hoped for a good turnout. Ross said she feels this is a great opportunity for everyone involved.

Others involved with the event said they felt it was a great learning tool for everyone and it helped answer a lot of questions.

“Each internship in going to be different, so it is always a good thing to have some idea of what your job might be when you go to that internship,” said Adam Rogers, executive director for WMUL-FM.

Rogers said panels are a great tool for students to use to gain information and said he thinks it is a great thing for students to take advantage of.

“I hope people react positively to this and I also hope they are able to take away valuable tools to help them in their internships,” Rogers said.

This was the first panel held by the journalism school, but many involved said they hope this becomes a new tradition.

Kalyn Bordman can be contacted at [email protected].