‘Reclaim Your Selfie’ lecture focuses on positive body image

The Marshall University INTO center presented a lecture about positive body image Tuesday.

Brianna McElfish, graduate assistant in the Women’s Center and doctorate of psychology student, presented the lecture titled “Reclaim your Selfie.”

The lecture focused on what selfies mean to the culture of young people, how they tend to make young people scrutinize their bodies in negative ways and how to feel positive about one’s body image.

McElfish said last week was national eating disorders awareness week but the events planned were postponed due to the weather.

McElfish said it is important for everyone to have a positive body image.

“Part of our modern culture is this emphasis on body scrutiny and in that context it is really important for us to learn to appreciate our bodies for what they’re for, not just as ornaments,” McElfish said.

Part of our modern culture is this emphasis on body scrutiny and in that context it is really important for us to learn to appreciate our bodies for what they’re for, not just as ornaments.

— Brianna McElfish, Women's Center graduate assistant

The event was open to all students on campus. The attendees took selfies with #reclaimyourselfie after the open-lecture discussion.

McElfish said there are many cultural differences between generation gaps and various international cultures. She tried to focus the discussion around the American image of selfies.

“Bodies are more than something to look at,” McElfish said. “Bodies are something more than a competition, bodies give us all sorts of beautiful experiences. These narrow cultural concepts are kind of tyrannical in a way and we don’t have to fit in to enjoy and appreciate our bodies.”

The INTO MU student’s answers to the open-discussion were positive. The question “Why do we take selfies?” was answered, “Because we are beautiful” from the crowd of students.

Salton Elotaibi, an INTO MU student from Saudi Arabia, said selfies are a fad in his country too.

“It is nice to take a selfie with your friends for memory,” Elotaibi said.

Other events planned for national eating disorders awareness week are body appreciation yoga 12 p.m. Thursday and a lecture by McElfish on “The Truth About Pro-Anorexia” 5 p.m. Thursday in the Women’s Center.

The jeans hanging up around campus are also for national eating disorders awareness week. McElfish said it is meant to express all shapes and sizes are beautiful.

Caitlin Fowlkes can be contacted at [email protected].