Chris Gardner gave the keynote at the Spring 2024 Commencement.
Class of 2024 Graduates With ‘Permission to Dream’
Anna Holstein, Staff Reporter • April 29, 2024
Walk For Hope Flyer

Courtesy of Phi Alpha
Walk for Hope to Shine Light on Suicide Prevention
Baylee Parsons, Copy Editor • April 19, 2024

Alpha Xi Delta Gears Up for Galentine’s

Courtesy of Livi Shonkwiler
Livi Shonkwiler is the president of Alpha Xi Delta

Challenging preconceived notions and establishing an environment filled with love, sisterhood and philanthropy remain the main initiative of upcoming recruitment, the Alpha Xi Delta president said. 

Alpha Xi Delta is hosting its Galentine’s COB Recruitment Event on Wednesday, Jan. 31, at the Alpha Xi Delta House. COB stands for continuous open bidding.

Livi Shonkwiler, Alpha Xi Delta president, said this event will be filled with not only philanthropy and sisterhood, but it will also serve as an opportunity for potential new members to witness the true essence of Alpha Xi.

“We always have good conversations,” Shonkwiler said. “This will allow us to see the values of potential new members and for them to see Alpha Xi’s values as well.”  

In addition to chapter interaction, nurturing positive aspects of Greek Life is also on the agenda for the event, Shonkwiler said. 

“There is unfortunately a stereotype,” Shonkwiler said. “We want to show people why we are here and who we are.”

The theme of the recruitment event will center around the idea, “How sweet is it to be in Alpha Xi,” she said. 

Beyond just Valentine’s-themed decor, the love of sisterhood and community service will feature in the celebration. 

“Spreading love across both our sorority and our community is really important,” Shonkwiler said. 

The event will also feature cookie making, which allows attendees to have the opportunity to mingle with current and potential members, Shonkwiler said. 

“One of our goals is to create a bond with potential new members,” Shonkwiler said. “We want to show how sweet our sisterhood genuinely is.”

Alyssa Hudson, Alpha Xi Delta member, said spring recruitment creates a welcoming environment for potential new members. 

Spring recruitment is more informal, allowing attendees to talk with current members and receive a tour of the Alpha Xi Delta house. 

“It is a great way to get to know us,” Hudson said. 

In addition to bonding and house tours, potential new members have the opportunity to learn about Alpha Xi Delta’s philanthropic organizations. 

The Kindly Hearts Initiative and StandUp for Kids both focus on aiding youth experiencing homelessness and foster care, Hudson said. 

“Philanthropy is the main reason we are all here,” Shonkwiler said. “Philanthropy will be a huge part of our recruitment.” 

The cookies made throughout the event will be donated to a local non-profit organization, Shonkwiler said. 

“This aspect of Galentine’s will show potential new members that service is a core value,” Shonkwiler said.

The Alpha Xi Delta Galentine’s COB Recruitment Event will be Shonkwiler’s first event as president. 

“I’m really excited to meet everyone,” Shonkwiler said. “In my new role, I just want to reflect Alpha Xi’s true values.”