Student Affairs connects students to campus resources

Marshall University’s Student Affairs office offers more than just academic resources to students— they offer a helping hand when in need. 

“We have a lot of really good resources on campus depending on what the student is going through,” Michelle Biggs, student advocate and success specialist, said. 

While some of Marshall’s resources are more commonly known, such as the food pantry, Counseling Center and the trans closet, there are a variety of other options available for students, especially in regard to mental well-being, Biggs said. 

“Marshall has the psychology clinic where students can get assessments, and also therapy, and they also do different groups for different things on campus for students,” Biggs said. “In housing, we have two counselors in residence. They live in the residence hall, and they have more of evening hours students can see in a crisis.”

Biggs talked about multiple other available services such as the Women’s and Gender Center, Wellness Center, Disability Services, family and parent programs and commuter student services.

Biggs said the list of resources can be a bit much, but encouraged students not to worry. 

“It can be overwhelming for a student when they have all this stuff going on in their head,” Biggs said. “Just sitting down with me, and we make a list of the things they need to do and then check back up with them to see how things are going.”

Each student is unique, and Biggs said Student Affairs has realized this in their mission to help with the needs of students. 

“We have all of these resources, but we also need students to come to us,” Biggs said. “Things change over the years. A resource that we never had, we might need depending on what students are going through. We connect with community resources, too to make sure that students have on-campus and off-campus resources.” 

Students are also encouraged to come to Student Affairs for anything needed that may be outside of the listed resources. 

“Never hesitate or feel embarrassed about something,” Biggs said. “Things they talk about with me are confidential. I don’t want them to hesitate or feel like they can’t ask us something because we will definitely try to get the resources to them that they need.”

Student Affairs encouraged students to always ask questions, no matter how big or small. 

“Always ask questions and ask for help,” Biggs said. “If they (students) feel that they need something, don’t hesitate to come ask us. It’s easier to work on things from the get-go.”

If a student is in need of any resources or is going through a difficult time that requires extra support, they are able to reach out to Student Affairs at [email protected] or 304-696-2290. A list of student resources can also be found at marshall.edu/student-affairs. 

Brittany Hively can be contacted at [email protected].