Students relax during Stress Relief Week

Marshall+University+Libraries%2C+the+Campus+Activities+Board+and+more+organizations+aimed+to+ease+students%E2%80%99+minds+with+relaxing+activities+by+turning+Dead+Week+into+Stress+Relief+Week.+

Makaylah Wheeler

Marshall University Libraries, the Campus Activities Board and more organizations aimed to ease students’ minds with relaxing activities by turning Dead Week into Stress Relief Week.

With activities, food and “survival freebies,” Marshall University is turning Dead Week into a Stress Relief Week for students. 

“It is extremely important to do whatever we can to support students during the extra stressful time surrounding finals,” said Hannah Petracca, Marshall’s former student body vice president.

The university will host an array of daily activities Monday, April 29 through Friday, May 2.

Students can expect “survival freebies” that will get them through finals, dance sessions, free massages, yoga, Do It Yourself workshops and free lunch provided by the Campus Activities Board throughout the week.

Last semester, organizations such as the Student Government Association also jumped in on the stress relief hype by passing out donuts, Petracca said. 

Petracca said the activities remind students that it is important to “decompress in-between studying.” 

“It’s important to look out for your mental and physical health because you only get one body and it’s important to take care of it,” said Annika Behnke, a freshman accounting major.

These “fun” activities are something that “students should definitely take advantage of,” Behnke said.

“I’m looking forward to the massages the most,” Behnke said “My roommate and I always make plans to get them together.”

Stress Relief Week can be a free way to spend time with friends and to de-stress, but the warm weather makes some students wish they were able to enjoy more of the activities outdoors. 

“I think having more activities outdoors would help students to de-stress and take care of their mental and physical health,” Behnke said.

Petracca said, though this time can feel “more overwhelming than usual,” she thinks “something as simple as a snack can give students the extra push they need to finish the semester out strong.”

Makaylah Wheeler can be contacted at [email protected].