Murder Mystery Masquerade to fund after school programs

Children+participate+in+RVCDS%E2%80%99+School+Age+Connections+program.+The+program+helps+children+with+social+skills%2C+as+well+as+helping+them+pursue+further+various+skills+independently.+

Hunter Ellis | Submitted photo

Children participate in RVCDS’ School Age Connections program. The program helps children with social skills, as well as helping them pursue further various skills independently.

Marshall University’s student-run public relations firm BeHerd Communications is partnering with the River Valley Child Development Services after school program at Guyandotte Elementary to raise money for the School Age Connections program.

BeHerd Communications will be hosting a fundraiser event for River Valley Child Development Services on Saturday, April 8 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Don Morris Room of Marshall University’s Memorial Student Center. ‘The Murder Who Came to Dinner — a Murder Mystery Masquerade” event is a dinner and clue collecting event to solve the mystery of who the murderer is, presented by Murder and Merriment. Silent auction items will be available throughout the evening.

RVCDS is an organization that helps promote education, creative thought and independent thinking among children. The organization offers the School Age Connections Program for students at Guyandotte Elementary School at no cost to the families. The program hopes to keep going, but needs help to do so.

“I think it is amazing what the School Age Connections program does for the students who attend,” said Sara Ryan, Be Herd Communications Media Relations Chair. “I have been to the school during the program and the kids are all having fun playing games with each other or learning new things or doing a craft. They are always smiling and laughing and I think it would be awful if this program doesn’t get to continue for another year.”

BeHerd Communications is a group of public relations students in a Marshall University capstone course. They are dedicated to raising funds for RVCDS to help student succeed.

Tickets are available now on EventBrite at beherd-murdermystery.eventbrite.com. Single admission tickets are $45, couples’ admission are $75, MU students can get a discounted ticket for $25 and a table of eight can be bought for $225. If a person cannot attend the event, there is the option to donate and become a “virtual player.”