Marshall students celebrate ‘Herd for Hijab’

Marshall’s Muslim Student Association continued Islam Awareness Week with Herd in Hijab Wednesday at the Memorial Student Center.

The event encouraged the Marshall community to come out and learn more about the hijab and it’s roll in Islam. Senior civil engineering major Rachel Carder said it’s good opportunity to see another culture you might not see otherwise.

“Especially since we’re not in the most diverse area in the world,” Carder said. “It’s cool that I have the chance to learn about a culture and their beliefs in such a relaxed setting and that I can even try on a hijab and be a part of it.”

Herd in Hijab gave people an opportunity to try on hijabs provided by the Muslim Student Association and they were taught how to put one on properly. A mirror was set up at the table so the students could see how they looked with the hijab on.

Vice President of the Muslim Student Association Malak Khader said her favorite part of the event is when people see how they look trying on a hijab.

“My favorite part is when the women actually try on the hijab, when they get to see themselves and that moment when I get to see them seeing themselves in the hijab for the first time, it just always takes me aback,” Khader said. “They are astonished by their beauty. People think that by putting on the hijab their beauty will diminish, but then when I see these girls realize it doesn’t, it’s just breathtaking.”

The students running the event offered to take pictures for each of the people who tried on a hijab with their own cell phones. The table also had posters with information about the history of the hijab and all the students running the event encouraged anyone to ask questions.

The rest of Islamic awareness week continues Thursday with a bake sale from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Memorial Student Center and an “Interfaith Dialogue” about addiction from 6 to 8 p.m. The last day of Islam Awareness Week will be an open house and Q and A at the Islamic Center of Huntington Friday from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.

Monica Zalaznik can be reached at [email protected].