Et Cetera showcases winners of writing completion

Marshall University literary magazine “Et Cetera” showcased pieces for its upcoming edition with a reading at Bittersweet Coffeehouse Thursday.

The reading was open to the public, where the Marshall community was encouraged to come and listen to student’s works.

“Et Cetera” sponsors a contest every fall semester to determine which students will have their literary work published in the magazine for the spring semester. This was the first semester where the winners were notified before the event, so all the writers were given the opportunity to read their submitted work.

Amanda Schwartz, editor-in-chief of “Et Cetera,” said this event gives student a real opportunity to see what it is like to have their work read in public.

“This event benefits because it gives creative writers the opportunity to share their work with their peers,” Schwartz said. “And to really get some experience reading in front of an audience, which is definitely an important part of being a writer.”

Submissions for the contest were judged by English professors Jackson Armstrong, Nicole Lawrence and Laura Michele Diener. Ten winners were selected to be featured in the magazine, with works including fiction, creative non-fiction and poetry.

“I think everyone had very emotionally touching pieces and there was some funny stuff, so I think there was a little bit of something for everybody,” said Angelina Mingo, the fiction editor for “Et Cetera.”

Monica Zalaznik can be reached at [email protected]