Clendenin artist to showcase work at Marshall South Charleston campus

Sonja Adkins, Marshall University alumna and resident of Clendenin, West Virginia, will present her art exhibit with a reception Friday on the South Charleston campus.

Adkins’ works, in an exhibit titled “A Series of Themes,” will be on display at the Library and Research Commons.

According to a university press release, Adkins has studied with Doug Walton in Huntington, and June Kilgore and Hank Keeling in Charleston.

Philann White, library associate at the South Charleston campus, said the artists always bring attention to the area because a local artist is brought in once a semester.

Adkins has previously exhibited in West Virginia, including at the Main Street Studio, Carnegie Hall, the Culture Center, Renaissance Gallery, Sunrise, the Federal Building, Stifel Fine Arts Center, the University of Charleston and the Huntington Museum of Art. In Ohio, she has shown her work at the French Art Colony.

“My goal is to capture the simple beauty of our surroundings and express it in a new way,” Adkins said.

The press release details her type of work with “impressionist paintings using watercolor and acrylics and most recently abstracts using acrylic and oil pastels, collages and mixed media.”

“To me, the journey is the greatest joy: the process, the doing, and the completion,” Adkins said.

The reception Friday will take place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and will be open to the public.